About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Air Show

October 3rd 2010, my family and I went to the Miramar air show. It was an extremely hot day, and I wasn’t that excited about going onto a hot military base to spend my entire day under the beating of the sun’s rays. But, once we got there, my mom coaxed me to put on my crown and banner and go exploring. At first, I felt a little bit shy to be there in my California attire, but once we started talking to people and taking pictures-that quickly disappeared. I took pictures by all of the airplanes, helicopters, in some of the tanks, and with our brave soldiers. The firemen even let me put on their fire gear and take pictures. I looked like a giant astronaut, and my hands were too short to stick out the sleeves! But they were such troopers, in telling me how the uniform worked and letting me even put on the helmet. Then the helicopter pilots did the same. I was allowed to put on the huge helmet, and even wear the bulletproof utility vest they have to wear in the helicopter. But the men must have been in a silly mood, because they asked to wear my banner and posed for a picture. I guess every one wants to be a queen! After seeing what its like to be a fireman and a helicopter pilot, I went on to see the marine and army recruitment center. It was an honor to see all of the brave men and women that serve and fight for our country. Salute! Then, I went and took a photo with some of the Veterans-it makes me realize that it doesn’t matter what age you are, young or old, you always can serve your country, and push forward for liberty and justice for all.









No comments:

Post a Comment