About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Monday, January 3, 2011

East County Toy and Food Drive

Last week, I was invited to come volunteer at the Salvation Army’s toy and food drive. I arrived with my mom at around 7 am, and we went into the empty warehouse building where the other volunteers were waiting and they showed us how the whole operation is going to work. The head of the entire drive told us how we would be given huge bags for each family, and take them through the tables filled with toys, with three toys for each kid, and then help them put the gifts in the bag, and get a bag of food at the end. I was nervous because I was hoping that I wouldn’t mess up, or accidently cheat a kid out of a Christmas toy. But, surprisingly enough, the families were very easy to work with. Even if they couldn’t understand what I was saying very well, they still were able to understand the rules of picking only one toy for each child at each table. What made it totally worth it, was the look on their face when they saw all the toys and how they could pick almost anything they wanted for their child, it was a completely amazingly rewarding experience. The fact that I could help be a part of that time for a mother or a father to help give their child a little bit of holiday cheer, whether through a bike, a Barbie doll or a toy car, it was still the fact that I could help make that families holiday a little bit better, a little bit happier.


Helping fill up bags!

Look at all the bikes people donated!!

With some fellow Workers :)


No comments:

Post a Comment