About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Years Eve Party

On New Years Eve, I was asked to volunteer with the Cardiovascular Disease Foundation for the annual New Years party. My dad and I went to the doctor’s mansion to help with the guest list for the party. Because there were over 130 guests on the list, my dad and I, as well as three other volunteers had to stand outside of the doctor’s mansion (who was throwing on the party) and check the guests of the list. A few times we had people come up who weren’t on the list, and I was faced with a difficult decision. I couldn’t just chase them away, and they were so nicely dressed I had to let them in. But I would take their name and number down, especially if they hadn’t paid yet or told us that they had already paid. The ticket prices were about 125-150 per person, and all of the money was given 100% to the Cardiovascular Disease Foundation. I think it was such a nice contribution-having these wealthy doctors spend their own money to put on a very distinguished party in their mansion, with a DJ, dance floor, bartender and caterer as well as giving all the proceeds to a nonprofit organization. It is really a great feeling to know that you are helping a bigger cause than yourself. I can see myself, when I become a doctor, helping do the same thing. I would love to help give part of my own money and earnings to charities and nonprofit organizations-to help give back to the community. Because they helped me get where I am, and it’s my turn to help give back.





No comments:

Post a Comment