About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pancake Breakfast

                The next morning, after the mixer, I had to get up and go to Cesar Chavez Middle School for the San Diego Lions Clubs’ annual pancake breakfast. I was asked to come and support them as well as sell raffle tickets, help cook, and be an MC for their games and raffle drawings. It was really fun experience, being able to ask people to buy raffle tickets was something that I had never done before. My friend Angelica, the girl who had asked me to come, was helping me set up numbers on the floor for the two cakewalks we were having. Because their goal was to have 75 people there, Angelica and I were sent out halfway through the breakfast to go and try and recruit people from the local soccer field to come on over and get some breakfast. In my high heels boots, it was something of a difficult situation to walk around a soggy, wet, soccer field in fabric shoes, but I was able to pass enough fliers around to people, so that we got about 10-15 more visitors. With the music, cakewalks and vendors, it was really fun to do, and seeing the smiles on the children’s faces when I went and presented them with their gifts. Working with people is so important because it gives you a satisfaction that you can’t get from anywhere else. It is important as queen to serve others, because that is your role in the community.







No comments:

Post a Comment