About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

American Red Cross Blood Drive

Last weekend, my mother and I went to another American Red Cross blood drive/health fair and run that was being put on by Acushnet, a local business. I arrived for the second shift of the day, and after introducing myself to the head nurse, I set up the tables with the nametags, checklist and promotional raffle tickets that we were having: one for a shopping spree, the other to win 4 Legoland tickets. It was a really exciting day because there were about 75 runners that day, along with loud blasting music to pump everyone up and also food and snacks for everyone. When it was lunch time, all of the employees came out to give blood, watch the race, and/or run. The huge wave of people coming to booth would have been overwhelming if my mom had not been there to help me. She and I passed out nametags, terms and conditions books, and raffle tickets, like we had done this our whole live. We had one particular lady, who didn’t speak very good English and she read every single page in our terms and condition booklet, when you only have to actually skim through it. About 3 people passed her, and went in to give blood while she was still sitting there, reading every page. When she finally finished, my mother and I cheered and high fived, for this was also her first time giving blood and ended up taking a picture with her when she came out from donating. You have to make things like this a fun experience for people, because you, the volunteer, are the very first person they see, and if they see that you are having fun and being relaxed, then they too will relax and have a good time. And with my perky personality, it’s something that comes naturally to me, and that’s why I love volunteering for the American Red Cross.





No comments:

Post a Comment