About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Home Town Buffet Ribbon Cutting -1

On Friday I had an event at the Home Town Buffet. It was a breakfast to help raise money for the Salvation Army. 100% of the profits went to the Salvation Army and I was there, along with Miss El Cajon and Miss Teen El Cajon to help pass out fliers, greet people and hand out mini Salvation Army bells to the children and every person that bought a breakfast. It was so sweet-seeing how much the community of El Cajon worked together to raise money for the less fortunate. I have never seen a community so close knit that everyone truly seems to enjoy each other’s presence and having one another around. Because Home town Buffet has asked me to also be their representative at their ribbon cuttings, I was asked the next day to come to the grand reopening of a Home Town Buffet in Clairmont Mesa. It was one of the most exciting ribbon cuttings I’ve done all year. My mother and I were given a free lunch and I was so surprised at how friendly everyone was! There was one woman who told me about how her mother and brother are both struggling and fighting cancer and how she and her husband are dedicating their lives to helping them. She told me how it’s important for me to be genuine to people and to always truly care about others. Her story almost had me in tears-it made me realize just how important it is to be a role model as queen, and to always be there for others. When it was time for the ribbon cutting, the assistant manager announced who I was and everyone there gave me a round of applause, along with everyone else. There was the San Diego Blood Bank, even a few flamenco dancers and a radio station. All in all, I had a great time because I love seeing the community working and getting involved with one another.







No comments:

Post a Comment