About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant -2010

The Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant was from Saturday April 24th to Sunday April 25th 2010 .

It was the second pageant I have ever done, and so I was still not exactly sure what to think of it. I had only heard about it 2 weeks prior because the director of my first pageant I participated in ( Elaine Brammel from Miss Teen Carlsbad) had suggested I do the pageant.
There were 6 different sections of competition: Interview, Talent, Sportswear, GPA, Community Service and a Speech.

All the Girls!

I found that there was need to be intimidated by the other girls-and simply just have fun! All of the girls and I bonded and it became apparent to me that this was more of a friendship creating experience, versus simply a pageant. I nearly forgot I was competing!

The Teen Achieve Judging Criteria was
10% Community Service & School Involvement
10% Speech
30% Interview
20% Talent
15%  Evening Gown
15% Sports Outfit

Obviously having a good interview is key. My tips for having a good interview is to simply be yourself, as cliche as that may sound. But it seriously is very important! Acting fake or trying to be someone your not is not going to impress the judges. Fidgeting and playing with your dress, suit, hair or fingers is going to show the judges that you are nervous and not confident. Talking with your hands is perfect because moving your hands ( not swirling them a round like a motor) will help distract you from the fact you are nervous and also give you a more dramatic effect in grabbing and keeping your judges attention. Pretend you are in a job interview, so stay bubbly, proffessional and keep smiling! :D



This is me Competing in evening Gown :)
( I actually Borrowed my dress!!)

Getting Crowned 2010 Miss California Teen Achieve!!
I actually won Interview, Talent, and Miss Congeniality as well :)

My sister queens are :
Kelinda White - Miss Junior California Teen Achieve
Ashley Lomelin - Miss California Hospitality
Melody Cao - Miss California Teen Achieve Princess


 

No comments:

Post a Comment