About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Big Bay Balloon Parade

Today was the big bay balloon parade down in San Diego- my friend Tiana and I went down early in the morning with my parents to volunteer in holding the giant balloons for America’s largest balloon parade. Ruben Galvan, from San Diego’s channel 6, he interviewed both Tiana and myself and asked us questions about the parade. It was such a neat experience to be able to be on TV and actually remain cool, calm, and collected while being interviewed. Because I was walking with the dinosaur (Triceratops) -I had to wear a cavewoman costume complete with a bone, leopard vest, and stretchy brown pants. I wanted to put my hair up with the bone-but it ended up getting too tangled in my hair and my mom and I got so frustrated, we just gave it up. When it was finally time for the parade to start, Tiana and I both went to the balloon with the other volunteers and learned how to hold the ropes correctly and raise and lower the Triceratops. I realized real quickly that pulling a balloon isn’t as easy as it looks, and that it requires a lot of arm strength and attention. The wind was blowing ridiculously hard and the other volunteers and I had to hold on the rope without wrapping the rope around my hands and wrists! Quite a difficulty! But the look on the children’s faces in the crowd made it worth it. I walked down the parade route with a huge smile on my face and roared like a barbarian to everyone watching. It was such a fun experience and I really enjoyed actually walking around in the parade instead of sitting in a car waving. Change is good-and a lot of times it what we really need. Doing the same thing over and over again is not a bad thing, but think about all the possibilities of just changing things up a little bit; it could make things a lot more interesting throughout the course of our lifetime.













No comments:

Post a Comment