About Me

My photo
Hello everyone! My name is Mercedes Harvey and I am your current Miss California Teen Achieve 2010. This is a blog I will update weekly of all the great events and fantastic/life changing opportunities that serving as your queen has allowed me to have. I will be uploading pictures and videos and then telling you a summary of what they are about. What I hope to accomplish by this blog is to help young women become interested in participating in the Miss California Teen Achieve Pageant. It is truly a one of a kind scholarship pageant based on scholastic achievement and community service, not just beauty. It will increase your self confidence, help you possibly win scholarship money and meet amazing friends for life, and teach you valuable assets about yourself. Don’t miss out! :)

Monday, January 3, 2011

Mr. Vista Pageant


            Last weekend I was invited to the Mr. Vista Pageant by my friend Helen. It was the first annual Mr. Vista pageant to have ever been done and I was so excited to participate. I didn’t exactly know what to expect from a “mangeant (man pageant”) but it seemed like a lot of fun. And I was right! It ended up being the most fun pageant I have ever attended. There were 9 guys competing for the title and it started out with this completely hilarious dance. The guys were dancing to modern pop music and had the entire crowd laughing and cheering them on as they got really into it. My friend Vanessa, one of the Miss Teen Vista Princesses and Miss Teen Vista herself were sitting next to me in the royalty section and we were laughing so hard, tears were coming out of our eyes. After the opening number, each contestant walked up to the microphone and introduced himself. Contestants number 4 and 5 both seemed to have the most confidence and energy, and Vanessa and I were keeping our eyes on them. Then, after introductions there was the sportswear competition, where each guy walked onto stage and was judged on how much confidence he had while wearing the uniform of his favorite sport. We had bike riders, basketball players, baseball players, golfers, and soccer players. Some of the boys ended up blowing kisses to the crowd or doing something silly on stage that ended up getting the crowd roaring for them. It was so fun to see the look on the guys’ faces when they heard the crowd cheering loudly and energetically for them. After sportswear came evening wear. This was the time for each young man to come on stage in his best dress clothes and show how much a gentleman he can be. There were some very nice suits, tuxedos and even a simple shirt and tie that really showed how nicely each could dress up to. And finally, the last competition was the onstage question. In most pageants, this is the most nerve-racking part. But after seeing the young men answer the questions like it was no big deal, I didn’t see it a lot different than I did before. Some answered their questions seriously and with heart warming answers. While others answered with short, quirky answers that made the audience and judges roll in laughter. When it was finally time to announce the winner, it was pretty “set in the bag” who would win. Just like Vanessa and I thought, Number 4 won 2nd Prince, Number 8 won 1st Prince and Number 5 won King. After the pageant was over, I went on stage with the rest of the queens and posed for photos with the winners. I definitely had a great time at the “Mangeant” and cannot wait to see what other incredible things this year will offer.


With Helen Rigby and Vanessa Okafor

With princes Paul Banks and Nalu Polancic


Mr. California and Mr. Cardinal


With Ryan Graham-the first Mr. Vista!


No comments:

Post a Comment